Information on the entry assessment and application process to join our nurseries
Submitting an application
We’re delighted that you’re considering a Stephen Perse Nursery and Early Years for your child. Please note that all our Baby and Toddler places are full and we are no longer taking applications or operating waiting lists. However, if you are interested in applying for Rising Three’s, Kindergarten and Reception please either telephone our Nursery Admissions Officer on 01223 454722 or email email@example.com to discuss availability of places.
The registration fee required at the time of submitting an application reflects the costs incurred by the Foundation in administering the admissions process before the offer of a place is made. This fee is non-fundable.
- Nursery and Kindergarten: £100
- Reception: £200
The acceptance fee is payable when an offer of a place is accepted by the parents and reflects the administrative costs incurred by the Foundation in preparing for new pupils to join the Foundation, including induction arrangements. This fee is non-refundable.
- Nursery and Kindergarten: £100
- Reception: £300
Application and assessment process
A place is only confirmed once an offer has been accepted and the documents have been signed and returned with the acceptance fee. Your child’s start date will be indicated on the offer letter. Once the contract is signed you are committed to that start date.
Should you wish to defer your start date you will either:
- Have to pay for the days that your child will attend to keep the place open for them or
- you will be required to give notice and your child will go back onto the waiting list.
Nursery (ages 1-3)
We accept applications for nursery places throughout the year, but these are subject to space being available.
- For nursery applications children aged 1 – 3 years old we will arrange a telephone meeting with our Head or Deputy Head of Early Years.
- At the telephone meeting they will be able to answer any questions that you have with regards to your child’s daily activities and requirements
- After this meeting we will be able to make you an offer of a place should there be a place available. If there is no place available we will put your child on the waiting list.
- On acceptance of an offer you will be required to pay a £100 acceptance fee when you sign and accept the parent contract. This is all done via our online admissions portal.
Kindergarten (ages 3-4)
We accept applications for Kindergarten places throughout the year, but these are subject to space being available. Your child will be invited into the nursery to spend a little time with the Head / Deputy Head of Early Years in order for them to make an assessment. For younger children the assessments are very informal. Our purpose is to identify bright, enquiring minds and we are looking for a child’s natural potential. Generally the process is more about identifying your child’s approach to learning rather than what he/she has been taught in school already. The interviews which last about 10 minutes are informal and we have a very relaxed atmosphere.
- Application closing date – 1 December 2023
- Entry assessments – week commencing 15 January 2024
- Offers made – week commencing 29 January 2024
- Acceptance of offers – 19 February 2024
For Nursery and Kindergarten places:
On acceptance of an offer the next steps in the entry process are:
- Home visit – A member of the nursery staff will visit you and your child in your home to learn about your child’s daily routines, for example, nappy changing, feeding and sleep habits. If a home visit is not possible we will discuss with you the most helpful way of gathering this information.
- All about me visit – You and your child will come to the nursery for two All About Me visits. You will stay with your child and help them become familiar with the nursery environment. At this stage, we will check all the necessary paperwork, take photos of you for our family tree display and confirm all of the specific details about your child and their routines. This is also an opportunity for you to raise any questions you may have and will enable us to be fully prepared for the Stay and Play sessions that follow.
- Stay and play sessions – Your child will come to the nursery and stay on their own for two half day Stay and Play sessions. These sessions can take place either in the morning 8.30-11.30 or afternoon 12.30-15.30.
- Welcome party – Once your child is settled into nursery life they will be invited to attend a morning of fun activities with their families. This will give you all the opportunity to meet other children and families from our Early Years classes.
Reception (ages 4-5)
Children start in the Reception class at the beginning of the academic year. Applications can be submitted throughout the year however spaces are subject to availability. Children are invited into the school for their entry assessment where the Head/Deputy Head of Early Years will spend some time with them in the school environment. For younger children the assessments are very informal. Our purpose is to identify bright, enquiring minds and we are looking for a child’s natural potential. Generally the process is more about identifying your child’s approach to learning rather than what he/she has been taught in school already. The interviews which last about 10 minutes are informal and we have a very relaxed atmosphere.
- Application closing date – 20 October 2023
- Entry assessments – week commencing 30 October 2023
- Offers made – week commencing 13 November 2023
- Acceptance of offers – 4 December 2023